HolyCoast: I'm 4 for 5
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

I'm 4 for 5

4 for 5 is a pretty good average. It would keep you in the major leagues a long time. What I'm referring to is my political giving average. Until 2002 I had never contributed to a political campaign. But that all changed just a couple of weeks before the 2002 election.

Sen. Paul Wellstone (D) was tragically killed in a plane crash while campaigning for re-election in Minnesota. A few days later the Democratic party held a "memorial" service at a large arena which basically degenerated into the biggest anti-Republican hate fest I'd ever seen. When I heard the recordings from the "funeral rally" I was infuriated and immediately sat down, got on the Internet, and sent $100 to Norm Coleman, the Republican candidate for Wellstone's seat. Coleman narrowly won over Walter Mondull and now I get a Christmas card from Norm every year (not to mention about 8,000 solicitation letters from the RNC).

This year I got involved again. Right before the Republican convention I sent $100 to President Bush. I got involved again about 4 weeks ago when the Senate races were getting close, and at the prodding of Hugh Hewitt, I sent $25 each to John Thune in South Dakota, Tom Coburn in Oklahoma, and George Nethercutt in Washington. Thune and Coburn won close races and I'm sure my $25 pushed them over the top (at least that's what I tell myself). I'm sure Christmas cards will be following.

Despite my late arrival at campaign giving, I'll be doing more of it in the future. I think it's important that we support the candidates of our choice with our money, and not just our votes.

No comments: