HolyCoast: Oklahoma City 10 Years Later
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Oklahoma City 10 Years Later

On April 19th, 1995 a truck bomb devastated the Federal building in Oklahoma City killing 168 people. It was the worst act of domestic terrorism to date. I have a special fondness for Oklahoma as many of my favorite family members live in that area, and I get back there every chance I can.

In 2002 my quartet did some singing in OKC and inbetween concerts we had some time to visit the Memorial. It's a very moving place and a definate must-see if you're going to be in the area. Pictured below is the memorial, which includes 168 empty chairs on a lawn which is the site of the Federal building. Also pictured is the The Gallery of Honor which houses an individual display for each of the victims, including a photo and a personal item chosen by their families to represent them. You really get a sense of the loss as you walk through this circular room.





Former Governor Frank Keating writes a special tribute to the people of Oklahoma and to the triumph of the human spirit today in the Arizona Republic.
Ten years ago this week, I was the newly inaugurated governor of Oklahoma and was sitting in my office at the state Capitol when the windows bowed in and the floor vibrated with the sound of a rumbling blast.

The enormous truck bomb that exploded that morning killed 168 of my Oklahoma neighbors. And although it was never the intention of the bombers, I believe it also revealed much that is good about the human spirit.

Since the April 19, 1995, bombing in Oklahoma City, America has endured an even worse terrorist attack. We have gone to war, elected and re-elected a new president and changed much about our nation.
Read the whole thing here.

No comments: