HolyCoast: Brevity Will Get You A Bad Grade
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Brevity Will Get You A Bad Grade

Glenn Reynolds at Instapundit notes a report on the new S.A.T. tests which for the first time include an essay portion. The grading on the essays was studied by a Dr. Perelman who came to this conclusion:
In the next weeks, Dr. Perelman studied every graded sample SAT essay that the College Board made public. He looked at the 15 samples in the ScoreWrite book that the College Board distributed to high schools nationwide to prepare students for the new writing section. He reviewed the 23 graded essays on the College Board Web site meant as a guide for students and the 16 writing "anchor" samples the College Board used to train graders to properly mark essays.

He was stunned by how complete the correlation was between length and score. "I have never found a quantifiable predictor in 25 years of grading that was anywhere near as strong as this one," he said. "If you just graded them based on length without ever reading them, you'd be right over 90 percent of the time." The shortest essays, typically 100 words, got the lowest grade of one. The longest, about 400 words, got the top grade of six. In between, there was virtually a direct match between length and grade.

He was also struck by all the factual errors in even the top essays. . . .

How to prepare for such an essay? "I would advise writing as long as possible," said Dr. Perelman, "and include lots of facts, even if they're made up." This, of course, is not what he teaches his M.I.T. students. "It's exactly what we don't want to teach our kids," he said.

This brings back some memories. I remember back in school I prided myself on the fact that I could write two pages on any subject, whether I knew anything about it or not (some may say I'm still doing that today). It looks like I could have improved my S.A.T. scores if the essay had been part of the test way back then.

No comments: