HolyCoast: These Guys Might Find Out How Good Their Insurance Is
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

These Guys Might Find Out How Good Their Insurance Is

I think you could define this as "tempting fate" (from Drudge):


As a church insurance guy, if I saw this sign outside one of my client's churches, I'm afraid I've had to counsel them to change it, whether I agree with it or not. I'm afraid these guys are just asking for some zealot to come and burn the place down or harm the pastor or one of the members.

The pastor's not the least bit apologetic though:
A sign in front of a Baptist church on one of the most traveled highways in the county stirred controversy over religious tolerance and first-amendment rights this weekend.

A sign in front of Danieltown Baptist Church, located at 2361 U.S. 221 south reads "The Koran needs to be flushed," and the Rev. Creighton Lovelace, pastor of the church, is not apologizing for the display.

"I believe that it is a statement supporting the word of God and that it (the Bible) is above all and that any other religious book that does not teach Christ as savior and lord as the 66 books of the Bible teaches it, is wrong," said Lovelace. "I knew that whenever we decided to put that sign up that there would be people who wouldn't agree with it, and there would be some that would, and so we just have to stand up for what's right."

I'm sure some will consider this courageous, but sometimes there's a fine line between courage and foolishness, and I think they may have crossed over that line.

UPDATE 5/26/05: According to Special Report with Brit Hume, the pastor has had a change of heart, and realizing how offensive the sign was to Muslims, changed it. Good move.

No comments: