HolyCoast: Windowsticker Memorials
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Windowsticker Memorials

I've noticed a new trend among the grieving in our car-centered society - windowsticker memorials. I've seen a lot of T-shirts like this, usually at gang member funerals, but they now seem to becoming more common among other folks. They read something like this:

In Loving Memory Of
John Doe
xx/xx/19xx - xx/xx/20xx

If you do the math on the dates, it's always a person who died at a fairly young age. I've yet to see one of those stickers for a senior citizen.

I'm always curious when I see these stickers as to what happened to the memorialized person. Were they the victim of someone else in a tragic accident or crime, suffer from a terrible illness, or did they do something stupid that caught up with them. The stickers don't ever tell us.

I'm waiting for the day when I see one like this:

In Loving Memory Of
John Doe
xx/xx/19xx - xx/xx/20xx
The Idiot Drove His Car 100 Miles Per Hour Down Alicia Parkway and Wrapped It Around a Palm Tree.
The Tree Won.

Probably won't happen. However, I did see one tonight that made me think. The HolyCoast family was celebrating a belated Mother's Day at one of our favorite restaurants, and as we were leaving I noticed a minivan with the following sticker which covered about 2/3rds of the rear window:

In Loving Memory Of
Common Sense
Common Courtesy
Respect for Others

The van had an Air Force Academy license plate frame, but I don't know if the sentiments were in any way connected to that. I'd love to know the story behind that sticker. I think they're onto something.

No comments: