HolyCoast: Senior Discount
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Senior Discount

Mrs. HolyCoast has a couple years headstart on me, so it provided me with a great deal of entertainment when she started getting membership solicitations from the AARP a year or two ago. Being the younger half of this partnership allowed me to gloat a little bit about my relative youth.

Last weekend it got even worse when a helpful clerk at the McDonald's extended a senior discount to my wife on her $1.69 purchase. That clerk doesn't know how close she came to wearing that ice cream.

Well, I can kid no more. Today I went to the car wash to get my company wheels cleaned up, and the cashier told me it would cost $10.99, looked at me kind of funny, and then finished processing my credit card. I signed the paperwork and when I got out to where you wait for the cars, I looked at the receipt. It was for only $8.99. Yep, you guessed it, she gave me the senior discount.

Now I'm only 49 years old so I guess I should be insulted, but hey, 2 bucks is 2 bucks. If they want to throw money my way because I'm getting a little a little more "blonde" every day, that's fine by me (I've always said it better to have your hair turn gray then turn loose).

If I ran a business that had senior discounts, I'd instruct my staff never to give the discount unless the customer asks for it. Then the employee would be instructed to say "Oh, I'm sorry, you didn't look old enough to qualify". You'd have customers for life.

Well, back to the rocking chair....

No comments: