HolyCoast: HolyCoast Heading to the UnHolyCoast
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Thursday, July 07, 2005

HolyCoast Heading to the UnHolyCoast

The long awaited family trip to Washington D.C. and Williamsburg, VA is upon us, and early tomorrow morning we'll be headed off to LAX for the long non-stop across the fruited plain. We're planning to have a good and informative time on this U.S. History tour, and we'd like to invite you to come along. For the next 10 days or so this blog will be a little less news and politics and a lot more travelogue. I'll be updating this site every day with information and photos from wherever we've been, and I hope you'll check back and enjoy the trip with us.

This is one of those trips that I've been wanting to take for many years, but I wanted to wait until the HolyCoast progeny were old enough to appreciate it. They'll both be in high school this year, so the timing is right. We'll be seeing a lot of stuff that I want to see, and a lot of stuff that I think they should see.

I was in Washington briefly two months ago and was able to acclimate myself a little bit to the layout of the town, but this time I'll get to see a lot more of the local sites. We're doing what I call the 3M tour during the first part of the trip - museums, monuments and memorials. We have tours scheduled at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, the U.S. Capitol, and the White House (terrorist attacks permitting). We'll fit everything else in around the scheduled tours.

We'll be spending the first five nights in Washington just a few blocks north of the White House. The last three nights will be spent at the Kingsmill Resort in Williamsburg, VA. Although there is a lot of history in that area as well, that part of the trip belongs to the kids, which means we'll be spending most of the time at Busch Gardens.

By the way, the fact that I'm going to Washington at the same time the President is announcing a Supreme Court nominee is just a coincidence. If nominated, I will not run. If confirmed, I will not serve (I'd be Chuckie Schumer's worst nightmare ).

On a more serious note, the terrorist attacks in London will certainly cause a higher level of security in Washington which may make our experience there a little more complicated, but I'm not worried. I have a great deal of faith in the folks to do their best to provide security, and I'm sure Washington will be one of the most secure places in the world.

I seem to have a history of traveling right after serious incidents. In 1991 I had to fly to Detroit a day or so after the bombing campaign started in the Gulf War, and in 1996 I had to fly to Colorado the morning after the Olympic Park bombing in Atlanta. We'll just be a little more careful.

The next post will be from Washington. See you later!

No comments: