HolyCoast: Judge Roberts Makes His Own Case
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Monday, September 12, 2005

Judge Roberts Makes His Own Case

After sitting through 21 boring and pompous speeches by members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Judge John Roberts finally had a chance to speak. Here's a portion of his brief opening remarks, and why it will be very tough for the Dems to lay a glove on him:
Mr. Chairman, I come before the committee with no agenda.

I have no platform.

Judges are not politicians who can promise to do certain things in exchange for votes.

I have no agenda, but I do have a commitment. If I am confirmed, I will confront every case with an open mind. I will fully and fairly analyze the legal arguments that are presented. I will be open to the considered views of my colleagues on the bench. And I will decide every case based on the record, according to the rule of law, without fear or favor, to the best of my ability.
And I will remember that it's my job to call balls and strikes and not to pitch or bat. (Good analogy - HC)

Senators Lugar and Bayh talked of my boyhood back home in Indiana. I think all of us retain, from the days of our youth, certain enduring images. For me those images are of the endless fields of Indiana, stretching to the horizon, punctuated only by an isolated silo or a barn. And as I grew older, those endless fields came to represent for me the limitless possibilities of our great land.

Growing up, I never imagined that I would be here, in this historic room, nominated to be the chief justice. But now that I am here, I recall those endless fields with their promise of infinite possibilities, and that memory inspires in me a very profound commitment.

If I am confirmed, I will be vigilant to protect the independence and integrity of the Supreme Court, and I will work to ensure that it upholds the rule of law and safeguards those liberties that make this land one of endless possibilities for all Americans.

Thank you, Mr. Chairman.
If that statement doesn't get Teddy Kennedy drinking, I don't know what will.

No comments: