HolyCoast: Justice Rehnquist Remembered by a Former Law Student
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Justice Rehnquist Remembered by a Former Law Student

Michael Manning, a lawyer from Arizona, writes a piece about his experience as a law student in Kansas and three days he spent with Justice William Rehnquist. Here's just part of it:

Topeka's stagecoach depot of 1877 was far bigger and far busier than its airport of 1977. Each of its two-a-day, propeller-driven, commuter flights from Kansas City was a happening.

On the day Associate Justice Rehnquist was to arrive, I put on the only suit I owned and waited nervously for the three-piece, Brooks Brothers-suited dignitary to hand me his baggage and to lead him to the back seat of his chauffeured sedan.

Nearly all of the flight's few passengers were past me now as I stood near the gate. But, there was no impressive personage headed my away.

My excitement and nervousness turned to agitation that the justice may have missed his connection in Kansas City.

As I considered approaching the man serving as that flight's pilot, baggage handler, flight attendant and ticket agent to report my missing dignitary, I noticed in my peripheral vision a man who appeared to be waiting for someone as well. He wore a wrinkled and tattered trench coat like TV's favorite detective, Lt. Columbo.

He also wore Hush Puppy desert boots and an old fishing hat with its brim pulled down all around.

"God, I hope Justice Rehnquist does not think that this man is one of our professors," I thought to myself.

The man kept nudging nearer to me and making inane small talk I ignored. As the last passenger passed me by, the rumpled man said, "You are dressed like you are waiting for someone important."

I was dismissive and abrupt to the rumpled old stranger (he was then about my age now) as I stared straight ahead and said, "Please leave me alone; I am here to pick up a member of the United States Supreme Court."

He said, "What a coincidence! I am a member of the Supreme Court as well. How about giving me a ride into town, too?" He laughed and introduced himself as "Bill Rehnquist."

It's a great remembrance of the future Chief Justice, and there's more good stuff here.

No comments: