HolyCoast: Roberts Sums Up The Real Role of the Judiciary
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Roberts Sums Up The Real Role of the Judiciary

It's been interesting to watch all the Mommy party Senators (Dems) try to get touchy-feeling answers out of John Roberts, who of course wasn't going for it at all. Chuckie Schumer told Judge Roberts that he thought it was important for the committee to measure "the fullness of your heart" . What nonsense.

The Dems have this "little guy vs. big guy" thing in their minds where the little guy is always right and the big guy is always evil. John Roberts gave a brilliant answer to a question which summed up the role of the judiciary very nicely, and completely torched the Dems "the little guy should always win" view of justice. Here's what he said (h/t Rush Limbaugh):
ROBERTS: I had someone ask me in this process, I don't remember who it was, but somebody asked me, you know, "Are you going to be on the side of the little guy," and you obviously want to give an immediate answer, but as you reflect on it, if the Constitution says that the little guy should win, the little guy is going to win in court before me. But if the Constitution says that the big guy should win, well, then the big guy is going to win because my obligation is to the Constitution. That's the oath. The oath that a judge takes is not that I'll look out for particular interests; I'll be on the side of particular interests. The oath is to uphold the Constitution and laws of the United States, and that's what I would do.
Yes, Mommy party, sometimes the big guy is right, and when he's right, he deserves to win. We call it justice...get used to it.

No comments: