HolyCoast: A Creative Parenting Solution
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Thursday, November 17, 2005

A Creative Parenting Solution

Here's a story that's near and dear to every high school parent's heart (h/t Skye Puppy):
Tasha Henderson got tired of her 14-year-old daughter's poor grades, her chronic lateness to class and her talking back to her teachers, so she decided to teach the girl a lesson.

She made Coretha stand at a busy Oklahoma City intersection Nov. 4 with a cardboard sign that read: "I don't do my homework and I act up in school, so my parents are preparing me for my future. Will work for food."

The result?

Tasha Henderson said her daughter's attendance has been perfect and her behavior has been better since the incident.

Coretha, a soft-spoken girl, acknowledged the punishment was humiliating but said it got her attention. "I won't talk back," she said quietly, hanging her head.
Hey, I've got a 14 year-old...hmmmm (stroking my chin) mmmmmm.

Nah. I'll just stick with fear and intimidation.

Of course, this inovative Oklahoma mom has had some psychobabble blowback from the usual sources, but she's hanging tough. You can read Skye Puppy's post to get all the details.

No comments: