HolyCoast: A Dream Distorted
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Monday, January 16, 2006

A Dream Distorted

Today is the national holiday celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (but not for me - I have to work). This past summer I stood on the spot where Dr. King made his famous "I Have A Dream" speech and took this picture:



Dr. King gave quite an eloquent speech on that day back in 1963, and the part which I wish had come to pass more than anything else in the speech was this:
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

It may still be a dream, but I don't think it's any closer to reality than it was in 1963 due in large part to the collection of idiots which now purport to be the leaders of the black community. The Jesse Jacksons, Al Sharptons, Louie Farrakhans etc. of the world will never allow Americans to be judged by anything other than their color. Character doesn't really matter.

And sadly, the Democratic party has become a willing accomplice in the efforts to keep blacks from thinking and doing for themselves. Given that many of the people Dr. King was fighting against in the 50's and 60's were Democrats, it's hard to understand how black Americans have become so attached to that party. Those weren't GOP members standing in the doorways of schools and colleges in the south, and without the GOP, the Civil Rights Act would never have been passed in a Democrat majority Congress.

It's too bad that Dr. King didn't live long enough to see his dream realized, because I have a feeling our racial situation in America would be much different today had he continued to lead the fight.

No comments: