HolyCoast: Cinco de Mayo (Clinic)
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Friday, May 05, 2006

Cinco de Mayo (Clinic)

What are the odds that a story involving the Mayo Clinic would come out on Cinco de Mayo - sometimes bloggers have all the luck.

Make room and clear the roads, Minnesota, there's a Kennedy coming to town:
Rep. Patrick Kennedy said Friday he was entering treatment for addiction to prescription pain medication, a decision made after a highly publicized car crash near the Capitol that he said he cannot recall.

Kennedy, D-R.I., said he plans to seek treatment at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., immediately.

He announced his decision to reporters at a Capitol Hill news conference. He walked in alone, gripped the lectern, cleared his throat and began haltingly.

Kennedy, who has struggled with addiction and depression, said he had checked into the Mayo Clinic over the Christmas holidays and returned to Congress "reinvigorated and healthy."

"Of course, in every recovery, each day has its ups and downs, but I have been strong, focused and productive since my return," Kennedy said in a statement obtained by The Associated Press.

The congressman said he became concerned about his condition after the Thursday morning car accident.

"I simply do not remember getting out of bed, being pulled over by the police, or being cited for three driving infractions," Kennedy said. "That's not how I want to live my life. And that's not how I want to represent the people of Rhode Island."
Interesting, because as Drudge points out, he had complete recall of the incident yesterday as he outlined in his own written statement:
"Last Tuesday, the Attending Physician of the United States Congress treated me for Gastroenteritis. The Attending Physician prescribed Phenergan, an anti-nausea medication, which in addition to treating Gastroenteritis, I now know can cause drowsiness and sedation.

Following the last series of votes on Wednesday evening, I returned to my home on Capitol Hill and took the prescribed amount of Phenergan and Ambien, which was also prescribed by the Attending Physician some time ago and I occasionally take to fall asleep. Some time around 2:45am, I drove the few blocks to the Capitol Complex believing I needed to vote. Apparently, I was disoriented from the medication. At that time, I was involved in a one-car incident in which my car hit the security barrier at the corner of 1st and C St., SE. At no time before the incident did I consume any alcohol.

At the time of the accident, I was instructed to park my car and was driven home by the United States Capitol Police. At no time did I ask for any special consideration, I simply complied with what the officers asked me to do.

The drugs must have a delayed memory impairment reaction.

Seriously, he's got a big problem, and is not having much luck fixing it. I hope for his sake he can get it himself straightened out, but his genepool suggests he won't have much luck.

Tags: , , , ,

No comments: