HolyCoast: Michael Waltrip is Doing the Right Thing
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Michael Waltrip is Doing the Right Thing

I've been following the NASCAR drama involving Michael Waltrip's NAPA Toyota team as they prepare for the Daytona 500 (previous posts here, here and here). In this post I suggested that Michael needed to clean house at Michael Waltrip Racing, and it looks like he's started doing just that. Word is that he's fired crew chief David Hyder and he's issued a pretty abject apology:
"In the past 12 months, Michael Waltrip Racing has hired more than 150 people and we currently employ more than 200. Although we have grown at an accelerated pace, it has been our mission to hire people with high moral value and character to properly represent our sponsors and our ownership. During preparations for the 2007 season and especially the 2007 Daytona 500, I specifically requested that our competition teams not disrespect NASCAR, our competitors or our sponsors by blatantly circumventing the rules. This is not the action of an organization, a manufacturer or a sponsor. This was an independent act done without consent or authorization from me or any of my executive management team. As an owner, I realize I am ultimately held responsible for the actions of my employees. Therefore, I accept the penalties issued tonight by NASCAR. I respect NASCAR's rules, its people and the sport's integrity, which is why I am so sad and embarrassed. I am dedicated to get to the bottom of this because I will not let the independent act of an individual or individuals tarnish the incredible accomplishment my organization has made to be where we are today. I want to apologize to the other owners, who know how hard I've worked to get here in such a short period of time, NASCAR, Toyota, NAPA, all my sponsors, the drivers and especially the fans."(MWR PR)(2-14-2007)

In addition, Toyota, while retaining their relationship with MWR, has made it clear that they've used up two of their three strikes and they've reportedly sent a letter to all of the Toyota teams threatening to pull their manufacturers support should anyone else be caught cheating. That's a good move by Toyota.

I feel sorry for Michael. My impression of him over the years is that he's a man of integrity and a dedicated Christian who loves the sport of racing and wouldn't do anything intentionally to damage the sport or his reputation within the sport. I'm sure this whole thing has been a kick in the gut for him. It will be a real test of character for the whole team to recover from this.

UPDATE: From NASCAR.com, Waltrip considered withdrawing from the 150's:
Waltrip said he only decided to race in the 150-mile qualifier after discussing it with his wife, Buffy, after waking up at the track on Thursday morning.

"I came real close to not racing today," Waltrip said. "I just felt that there would be a cloud over everything I accomplished because of what happened."

Waltrip added the worst part of the ordeal was when his daughter asked why his car had failed inspection.

"A beautiful nine-year-old asked her mom on Monday why Daddy cheated the rules," Waltrip said. "That will hurt you pretty bad."

UPDATE - MICHAEL RACES HIS WAY INTO THE 500! Not many people gave Michael Waltrip much of a chance to make the race after losing his primary car to NASCAR and having to run a backup with no practice. Despite the trials of the last few days, he had a good enough car to race his way into the 500 and will start on Sunday.

No comments: