HolyCoast: McCain Will Go On
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

McCain Will Go On

According to Roger Simon at Politico, the Straight Talk Express will go on:
In his first national interview since the near-collapse of his presidential campaign, John McCain promised Monday to stay in the race at least until the first caucuses and primaries are over in the early part of 2008.

"I can promise you I will not be quitting," McCain said. "In September, when people get off vacation and start focusing on politics, I will get traction, then support, and then my fundraising increases a little bit."

In the first six months of this year, McCain raised only $24 million and has spent virtually all of it.

"But I have now had conversations with almost all of my major fundraisers, and they are steadfast and reinvigorated," McCain said. "I don't contemplate in any way a scenario where I will withdraw."

As to his support for comprehensive immigration reform, which cost him considerable support within the Republican Party, McCain said: "I think the immigration issue is off the front burner. I lost, the other side won, it is over."
The immigration issue was the coup de grace for McCain's campaign. He was already on thin ice with Republicans because of his past antics with the Gang of 14, McCain-Feingold, and his opposition to the Bush tax cuts. The immigration battle, occurring at a key time in the early campaign, finished him off.

He may believe that his donors and others will come back to the campaign in September, but few will throw good money after bad and with his staff falling apart and his funds drying up, the chances of a resurrected campaign are very, very small.

No comments: