HolyCoast: Erin Pays A Call on Rockport
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Erin Pays A Call on Rockport

I mentioned earlier that one of my favorite Texas towns is about to get a visit from a tropical storm. The storm should make landfall later today, and all the storm tracks show the center of circulation coming ashore right near Rockport in Aransas County. Fortunately, it looks like it won't become a hurricane and will be more of a rain event than a wind event, so storm surge and wind damage should be much of an issue. Rain, however, is a big problem in an area that has already had huge amounts of rain this year.

One of my buddies is the Sheriff of Aransas County, and two others are the Police Chief and Commander of the Rockport Police Department. They're going to have their hands full, so keep them in mind as you go through your day.

I must admit there's part of my that would love to be there to ride the storm out with them. I had a front row seat for Hurricane Celia in 1970 when it hit Corpus Christi, and that's an experience I'll never forget (and recounted here). I've toured the jail in Rockport (not as an inmate, but as a guest) and it's pretty sturdy. I'm sure that place could stand up to anything Erin has in mind.

No comments: