HolyCoast: Army Vet Resolves Flag Dispute His Way
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Army Vet Resolves Flag Dispute His Way

A bar in Reno decided to fly the Mexican flag above the U.S. flag, a violation of Federal law. Local law enforcement didn't seem to care, so an Army vet handled the situation his way:
After hearing a Reno bar was flying a Mexican flag above a U.S. flag, an angered U.S. Army veteran took matters into his own hands, drove to the site and cut down the banners in front of a stunned group of Hispanic patrons.

Reno television station KRNV, which was there to document Jim Broussard's act of defiance, noted the U.S. code prohibits raising the flag of any other nations above Old Glory.

Broussard pulled up in his truck to the Cantina El Jaripeo near downtown Reno yesterday, cut the rope that anchored the flags and pulled them down from a makeshift flagpole.

He left the Mexican flag on the ground and, with the U.S. flag in hand, turned to the KRNV cameraman:

U.S. military vet, with U.S. flag in hand, displays knife he used to cut it down

"I'm Jim Broussard," he said, "and I took this flag down in honor of my country with … a knife from the United States Army. I'm a veteran, I'm not going to see this done to my country. If they want to fight us, then they need to be men, and they need to come and fight us. But I want somebody to fight me for this flag. They're not going to get it back."

Gutsy guy, but he probably hasn't heard the end of this incident.

No comments: