HolyCoast: Blessed Are the Gay, For They Shall Be....Well, Gay
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Blessed Are the Gay, For They Shall Be....Well, Gay

I've got to get out the old concordance to check on this story - Barack Obama has managed to justify gay marriage by finding it in Jesus' Sermon on the Mount:
With voting just hours away in "Super Tuesday II," some remarks by Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama linking same-sex relationships to Jesus' famous Sermon on the Mount are raising some eyebrows in the Christian community.

During a Sunday campaign stop in Nelsonville, Ohio, Pastor Leon Forte of Grace Christian Center in Athens, Ohio, asked the Illinois senator to address social concerns:

"Your campaign sets a quandary for most evangelical Christians. They believe in the social agenda that you have. They have a problem with what the conservatives have laid out as the moral litmus test about who is worthy and who is not."

As part of a lengthy videotaped response, Obama referred to the speech by Jesus found in the Gospel of Matthew, as well as some anti-homosexual statements made by the apostle Paul which he called "obscure":

"I will tell you that I don't believe in gay marriage, but I do think that people who are gay and lesbian should be treated with dignity and respect and that the state should not discriminate against them. So, I believe in civil unions that allow a same-sex couple to visit each other in a hospital or transfer property to each other. I don't think it should be called marriage, but I think that it is a legal right that they should have that is recognized by the state. If people find that controversial then I would just refer them to the Sermon on the Mount, which I think is, in my mind, for my faith, more central than an obscure passage in Romans. That's my view. But we can have a respectful disagreement on that."
Are gays the "poor in spirit", or the "meek" that "shall inherit the earth"? Got me.

No comments: