HolyCoast: 1973 Revisited
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Thursday, May 29, 2008

1973 Revisited

James Lileks has a site in which he has scanned pages from the 1973 Sears catalog. It's pretty funny to go back and look at what he world looked like (according to Sears) 35 years ago. The page he added today caught my eye (you can see a larger photo here):



About a year after this was published I bought my dad a 4 function electronic pocket calculator for $50. It had no memory functions - just addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Now companies give credit card-sized calculators away as freebies, and they have far more computing power and memory than did that 4-function LED model I gave my dad.

I wonder how many years we'll wait before credit card sized personal computers are given away?

No comments: