HolyCoast: South County Air Show
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Saturday, May 03, 2008

South County Air Show

I was taking my son to a friends house this evening and noticed a big header of smoke coming from the Laguna Niguel area. After dropping him off I headed down Moulton Parkway to investigate a bit (I'm nosy when it comes to fire and police acivities). When I got to Moulton and Glenwood I ran smack into the source - a brush fire in Glenwood Park. I'm not sure if any structures were involved, but there was a lot of equipment and a lot of smoke on scene.

As I was waiting to be directed up Glenwood by the Sheriff's Department I heard the familiar WHOMP-WHOMP-WHOMP of a Huey helicopter, and through my sunroof I saw the big bird just about 100 feet over my roof. It was the fire department's water dropper, and he dropped right in front of me. Pretty impressive. They were probably picking up water from the nearby regional lake because they were making drops every couple of minutes.

When I find the article on the fire I'll post a link. I'm curious myself to see what was burning so fiercely down there.

UPDATE: Here it is - 7 acres, no structures.

No comments: