HolyCoast: All-Star Game Memory
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

All-Star Game Memory

I've never attended a Major League Baseball All-Star Game (the 2008 version takes place tonight at Yankee Stadium) but I do remember one game in particular. 1976 was America's Bicentennial year that Veteran's Stadium in Philadelphia had been chosen as the site for the event. I had arrived in New York City a couple of days before as part of a choir tour, and we were staying in dorms at New York University in Greenwich Village.

That Tuesday night (July 13th) the choir was off and many of the members chose to hit the town, but a bunch of us guys found a common room in the dorm with a TV and watched the game. I was a pretty big baseball fan back then and we had a great time watching the game. I couldn't tell you anything about the game today, but thanks to the magic of the internet, I found a site with all the details.

As I look back at the line-up from the game it's interesting to see how many of those players whose baseball cards I had collected just a few years before. I wish I still had those things. There were a lot of future hall-of-famers in that line-up.

No comments: