HolyCoast: The L.A. Times - Now With 15% Less News!
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Thursday, July 03, 2008

The L.A. Times - Now With 15% Less News!

The newspaper industry is shrinking, and the Los Angeles dog trainer is getting hit hard:
Tribune Co.'s largest newspaper, the Los Angeles Times, plans to cut about 15% of its news staff and news pages as part of the newly private media company's mandate to slash costs.

The Los Angeles Times, the country's fourth-largest paper by weekday circulation, plans to eliminate about 150 positions from its editorial staff, according to a memo released Wednesday by the paper's editor, Russ Stanton. The newsroom currently has about 840 people, a spokeswoman said. Mr. Stanton also said the number of pages published each week will be reduced by 15%.

I'm guessing the first to go with be their very few conservative columnists.

I used to take the LA Times and read it every day at lunch. The liberal slant of the news pieces, and the overwhelmingly liberal slant of the columnists finally got to me and after one issue in which all three columns were anti-Bush lefty bashes, I cancelled and sent the editor a letter explaining why. He wrote back and assured me the paper was "objective". I declined to renew my subscription.

No comments: