HolyCoast: Las Vegas Trip Day 3 & 4
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Las Vegas Trip Day 3 & 4

We spent days 3 & 4 in Las Vegas running all over the place, as usual. I managed to walk blisters into my right foot and tried to get the left one too. Much of the walking was as part of my effort to take nighttime photos of as many of the hotels on the Strip as I could get. That collection is now available for viewing on this page. As I said, I'm not a pro and don't have pro equipment, but every now and then I get something interesting with my little Kodak 4.0 megapixel camera.

We visited the Ethel M Chocolate factory where they advertise a tour. It's not really a tour, but a hallway with windows you can look through to see if anybody is working. There's wasn't much going on that Monday morning, and frankly, the sample candy they gave us was disappointing. We didn't buy anything.

We stopped by Green Valley Ranch so my wife could visit the mall next door, hit the southern end of the Strip so she could shop at Mandalay Place and the stores along that area, and then in the evening walked all the way up to the Wynn's, shopping as we went. She got to shop and I got some exercise.

Tuesday was much the same, with a run through the Miracle Mile shops at Planet Hollywood, and the Forum Shops at Caeser's Palace. I took a book.

Tuesday was the Mrs. birthday, so to celebrate I got tickets to Spamalot at the Wynn's.


The show stars John O'Hurley, better known as J. Peterman from Seinfeld. At 7:29 we were waiting in the lobby for the 8pm show when a tall, distinguished looking gentlemen came swiftly through the crowd, excusing himself as he passed by us. It was none other than Mr. O'Hurley himself arriving for the show. I guess he doesn't need much preparation or makeup.

It's good to be the king.

The Wynn's version is shorter than what you'll see on Broadway and has been "customized", shall we say, for the Las Vegas audience. It was a very well done 90 minute show and they have a wonderful theater decor that makes it a fun experience.



I'd highly recommend it...except the show is closing on July 13th. After two years in Vegas it's shutting down and the theater will be reconfigured for Danny Gans, the showman that nobody knows outside of Vegas and who has been at the Mirage for a bunch of years.

If I ever get a chance I want to see the Broadway version and compare the two.

We made the long trip home today (it's always longer coming home) and it was good to feel some 80 degree weather again for a change (though it was 108 in Baker when we stopped for lunch). Don't forget to check out the photos from the Strip hotels that I walked my feet off to get.

No comments: