HolyCoast: Kobe Bryant, Patriot
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Kobe Bryant, Patriot

Basketball star Kobe Bryant was interviewed on NBC last night and was asked how it felt when he got his Team USA uniform:
(Chris) Collinsworth: Tell the story when you first got your USA uniform.

Kobe: Well I had goosebumps and I actually just looked at it for awhile. I just held it there and I laid it across my bed and I just stared at it for a few minutes; just because as a kid growing up this is the ultimate, ultimate in basketball.

Collinsworth: Where does the patriotism come from inside of you? Historically, what is it?

Kobe: Well, you know it’s just our country, it’s... we believe is the greatest country in the world. It has given us so many great opportunities, and it’s just a sense of pride that you have; that you say "You know what? Our country is the best!"

Collinsworth: Is that a ‘cool’ thing to say, in this day and age? That you love your country, and that you’re fighting for the red, white and blue? It seems sort of like a day gone by(?)

Kobe: No, it’s a cool thing for me to say. I feel great about it, and I’m not ashamed to say it. I mean, this is a tremendous honor.

I saw this interview and you could tell Kobe meant every word he said. The experience of representing the USA in the Olympics is a big, big deal to him.

The 2nd question is telling. It's almost as though Collinsworth is trying to bait Kobe into giving the usual lefty answer about all of America's past sins, but Kobe didn't bite. And while the day may be done when NBC reporters can say they love their country, it's not true for all of us.

It's good to see that there are still some people in this country who still believe it's okay to support the red, white and blue. I'm proud to have Kobe Bryant representing my country in the Olympics.

No comments: