HolyCoast: A Guest Post - The Perspective on The Speech From Mrs. HolyCoast
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Thursday, September 04, 2008

A Guest Post - The Perspective on The Speech From Mrs. HolyCoast

(From Rick) Not being of the feminine persuasion I can't react or respond to Sarah Palin's speech and candidacy the way a woman could. I'm used to members of my gender being in high leadership positions, but I'm sure the experience is quite different for the ladies in the audience.

My wife is not a political person, but after watching the speech she was fired up and had some great lines. I asked her to write up her thoughts, and without further ado, here they are:

From Mrs. HolyCoast:

For the first time through the seemingly interminable campaign that began so long ago, I am ready to fight for the Republican nominee. Through the primaries I was very apathetic and could not really get behind anyone. I felt I was betraying the whole of womankind since I was so against Hillary even though she's a Democrat (and I am a bit more liberal Republican). I just did not want to see her succeed, and as a woman, I felt I was going against women everywhere and not being supportive of a woman that had managed to get so far.

Now I see what was missing - Hillary was playing the "insider" role. With all her experience in the White House she came across as a "good old boy" pretender and I didn't like it. Sarah doesn't play that game. She is who she is and does not waver. She isn't an insider, and she knows how to hold her ground. She's tough and not going to back down or be pushed around by anyone. She's not afraid to stand in front of the whole country and not make excuses for her family or feel she has to explain to the world a decision that her teenage daughter made to have sex before marriage. I know how teenagers are and they really don't think there will be consequences for their actions, that they will be the lucky one and not get pregnant.

I see this attitude on a daily basis and I don't blame Sarah as a mom for what happened. I do applaud her for accepting the situation and moving forward. She does not own anyone an explanation for her daughter's actions, but she did not hide her daughter, send her away in secrecy or anything else. They dealt with it as a family and that is their own business.

There was no lying, no cover-up. And thank goodness she did not base her future and the future of the country on the possible embarrassment to herself and her family.

She's a tough cookie and you want her on your side, and she makes you want to be on her side. Her political record in standing up to the corruptness in Alaska is very empowering. She does not seem hesitant - she knows what is right and she will fight for what is right for the people of the United States like she did with the people in Alaska.

The campaign has shifted from Obama vs. McCain to Obama vs. Palin. It's as if McCain isn't running for President - she is! Biden has become invisible and I can't wait to see a debate between the two. My ideal situation would be a debate between Palin and Obama - I bet she'd win!

She made me feel better about McCain than anyone else has and her style of criticizing Obama was much easier for me to accept. The other speeches can get offensive and I start feeling very uncomfortable when they just sound mean and nasty - even when it is the truth. There is a right way and a wrong way to show an opponent's faults. She does it the right way.

This woman has been through a lot and has survived some difficult situations in her family life and political life. She makes women feel comfortable because she has dealt with some really big issues and she understands the woman's point of view and can still go head-to-head with the big boys.

Obama has been impaled by Palin's en guard. Let the games begin!


I definitely married above my class. I'd love to get other reactions from the women in the audience. Please feel free to post your comments and take as much space as you need.

No comments: