HolyCoast: McCain Tries to Take Country From Crisis to Panic
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

McCain Tries to Take Country From Crisis to Panic

Frankly, I'm appalled at the way John McCain has chosen to handle this financial crisis today, with the call to suspend campaigning and delay the debate. Before going on, let me rerun something I wrote earlier:
This was an overreaction on McCain's part. The GOP played the crisis game with Hurricane Gustav, and now we're doing it again with this bailout. The world doesn't have to stop every time something happens. I can't think of any better way to turn a crisis into a panic than by taking the kind of action McCain just did. Add to that a presidential prime-time speech, and I'm guessing the stock market is going to take a real dump in the next couple of days.

UPDATE 3: I'm listening to Obama's statement. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with him on the debate issue. He says that it's more important than ever for America to hear both candidates, one of which will become president-elect in 40 days. He also said that presidents need to be able to do more than one thing at a time, and there's no reason why they can't deal with the crisis while continuing their other activities. I personally believe that was the right approach to this, and McCain blew it. Again, I hate to say it, but Obama took the more presidential route on this issue.

Now let's look at the headlines hitting Drudge:
MCCAIN SUSPENDS CAMPAIGN TO FOCUS ON ECONOMY; WANTS DEBATE DELAY

EXCLUSIVE: LETTERMAN MOCKS MCCAIN CANCELLATION... DEVELOPING...

OBAMA: THE DEBATE IS ON...

University of Mississippi: Debate Goes On...

McCain taking ads down...

Sen. Reid to McCain: Don't Come Back...

McCain didn't just shoot himself in the foot. He cut if off, bronzed it, and gave it to Obama as a memento. McCain acted hastily and without a lot of forethought, something for which he's been frequently criticized. It was not very presidential.

I think he just hurt his campaign very badly, and now what's he going to do? Is he going to stay away from the debate on Friday because he's so desperately needed in Washington? He's really boxed himself in and for no good reason.

No comments: