HolyCoast: Batman Theme Composer Dies
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Batman Theme Composer Dies

Neal Hefti, who wrote the theme song for the Batman television series, has died at 85:

Neal Hefti, a former big band trumpeter, arranger and composer who worked with Count Basie and Woody Herman and later composed the memorable themes for the movie "The Odd Couple" and the campy hit TV series "Batman," has died. He was 85.

Hefti died Saturday at his home in Toluca Lake, said his son, Paul. He did not know the cause of death, but said his father had been in good health.

"Everybody in the music business loved Neal Hefti," radio and television personality Gary Owens, a longtime friend, told The Times on Tuesday.

"He was one of the really great arrangers and composers of all time," Owens said. "He worked with all those guys -- Charlie Spivak, Harry James, Woody Herman -- and he made arrangements that were just spectacular."
The Batman Theme is the default ringtone on my cellphone. I was in a meeting one time with a pastor and had forgotten to turn it off. The phone rang out the Batman Theme and the pastor looked at me funny. I looked him right in the eye and said "Yes, pastor, I am Batman".

I got the account.

In honor of Hefti's passing I'll leave my phone on vibrate all day.

And in honor of both Hefti and tonight's debate, here's a debate preview that sounds strikingly familiar:

No comments: