HolyCoast: Another of the Greatest Generation is Gone
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Another of the Greatest Generation is Gone

I first met him in 1986. He was an avid outdoorsman and hunter. In fact, one of the first meals I ever had at his house was wild pork pizza, a frozen pizza topped with pork from a wild pig he'd shot while hunting. It was really good.

When I met him he was a recently retired high school history teacher, had formerly coached the boys basketball team and taught driver education, all at Santa Paula High School.

He was also a decorated WWII Army veteran. On his wall hung the paperwork that accompanies a Silver Star, a Bronze Heart with "V" for Valor, and two Purple Hearts. He had a personally signed commendation letter from Gen. George Patton. He was an avid collector of things related to the war and had a great deal of memorabilia from the foes he defeated as he slugged it out through France before being wounded in the battle of Metz. He was even featured on an episode of the History Channel's "Shootout" which retold the story of the battle in which he was wounded.

As you can imagine, when he taught WWII history, his students paid attention.

He lived in the same house in Santa Paula for over 50 years. His beloved wife of over 50 years passed away in 2006, and it was there in the home they made all those years that he passed away sometime last night or this morning.

He was my father-in-law, Roy Jennings.

When we couldn't get ahold of him last night or earlier today, we all knew something was wrong. A month ago we had visited him and when he was slow answering the door, I thought it would be a good idea if we had a key to the house as well. It was with that key that a wonderfully compassionate Santa Paula police officer opened the door and we made the painful discovery.

One of the ways you measure the value of a life is how others react to the passing. Roy was very well known in Santa Paula because of having taught there so many years. He frequently encountered former students when he made his way around town. Today was no different.

The police officers marveled at the decorations he had received during the war and were very genuine in their praise of what he did for the country. One of the firemen who responded told me "he was a good man, he was my history teacher". A neighbor, upon hearing the news, came by and said "he was a good man, he was my history teacher." When I called the funeral home in Ventura the lady that took my information gave an audible gasp when she heard his name. She said "he was a good man, he was my driver ed teacher".

He was a good man. Can't ask for a better endorsement than that.

He was always good to me and my kids. In fact, last Saturday he attended a gun show and bought something for me that I had been looking for and couldn't find. I found it, still in the gun show bag, sitting in his bedroom. The other Christmas presents he planned to give or ship were sitting on the floor ready to go.

And he didn't love anything more than finding beautiful things to give his daughters and granddaughters. Christmas was a year around event for him.

Now comes the hard part. There are lots of things to do and thankfully my brother-in-law will be handling most of it. He'll get to Santa Paula tomorrow. However, right now I've got to take care of some things and so HolyCoast.com will be on hiatus for a day or two while I sort through these things. Gotta take care of the family stuff right now.

I'll talk to you again on Thursday or Friday. Your prayers for the family are appreciated.

No comments: