HolyCoast: Making 2010 The Year of the Bible
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Making 2010 The Year of the Bible

I ran across some interesting advice from my friend Joe Carter at First Things. He has a suggestion on how to change your mind:
The beginning of a New Year—and a new decade—is an an excellent time to try something new. As you make your list of resolutions and goals I want to recommend adding a simply four step process that could transform your life by, quite literally, changing your mind.

After reading the entire post the vast majority of readers will snicker at such a hyperbolic claim and never implement the method I outline. A smaller number will consider the advice intriguing, my assertion only a slight exaggeration, but will also never implement the method. A tiny minority, however, will recognize the genius behind the process and apply it to their own life. This group will later say that my claim was an understatement.

This post is written for those people.

A few years ago I stumbled across a variation of the four steps in a blog post by my Evangel co-blogger Fred Sanders and implemented his recommendation that day. I later had the pleasure of meeting Sanders in person and telling him how his post had transformed my life. My hope is that at least one other person will follow this advice and experience the same transformative effect.

Before I reveal the four steps I want to reiterate that while the advice could transform your life, it likely will not. As with most life-altering advice, it is simple, easy to implement, and even easier to ignore. Statistically speaking, the odds are great that you’ll ignore this advice. But a handful of you will try it so for the one or two people who will find this useful, the four steps that will transform your worldview are:

1. Choose a book of the Bible.

2. Read it in its entirety.

3. Repeat step #2 twenty times.

4. Repeat this process for all books of the Bible.

Christians often talk about having a Biblical worldview yet most have only a rudimentary knowledge of the Bible. They attempt to build a framework without first gathering the lumber and cement needed to create a solid foundation. The benefits of following this process should therefore be obvious. By fully immersing yourself into the text you’ll come to truly know the text. You’ll deepen your understanding of each book and knowledge of the the Bible as a whole.
There's more at the link including recommendations on how to approach this. I'd read that before deciding where to start.

It's an intriguing idea. Sounds pretty simple in theory, but probably much more difficult in practice as there are so many things that we allow to distract us.

I've read through the Bible cover-to-cover twice, but I don't recommend that for someone trying to develop a deeper understanding. You find yourself skimming through just to get the process done. And frankly, who can keep their attention focused when slogging through all the "begats" in the Old Testament. The genealogies are probably important, but boy are they boring.

Perhaps I'll give it a try.

1 comment:

Ann's New Friend said...

Wow, that's a very high goal -- reading with that intensity.