HolyCoast: Go Jets!
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Go Jets!

I have to be honest - I haven't seen a single NFL game all season and I'm not sure I'll get to watch any today, but I am rooting for the New York Jets in today's playoff game against the Colts. Why? Because during the 2003 and 2004 football seasons at Mission Viejo High School I watched Jets Quarterback Mark Sanchez lead the Diablo team to CIF Championship games in both years. They lost in 2003, but won the championship in 2004.

I've been following his career ever since and it's amazing to think a kid I saw in high school may have a chance to quarterback an NFL team in the Super Bowl.

I remember at a game one night we were there with my parents, and my dad, as he often did, struck up a conversation with a guy who was standing behind us and watching the game. It turned out the guy was Sanchez' father. I saw him at just about every home game and he was always intensely focused on his son and the game.

He's still a rookie and the experts tell us he probably can't beat a veteran like Peyton Manning, but Sanchez has surprised people before. It should be interesting.

No comments: