HolyCoast: Stand Up, Sit Down, Clap, Clap Clap
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Stand Up, Sit Down, Clap, Clap Clap

We are about to see unfold in the House Chamber one of the silliest annual events in American politics - the State of the Union Address. It is required by the Constitution that the President provide Congress with a report on the "state of the union" each year, though that report does not need to be in the form of a speech to a joint session. However, that has become the norm, especially in the age of TV.

What makes this spectacle all the sillier is the kabuki theater that goes on throughout the speech. There's the standing ovation when the president is welcomed into the chamber. Another standing O when he's formally introduced by the Speaker. And then as the speech drones on the floor of the House begins to look like the playing table of a Whack-a-Mole game (or perhaps we should call it "Whack-a Pol"). One side jumps up when they hear something they like, then the other side, then everybody...ad infinitum. The media keeps track of how many standing O's the president got and whether one side or the other was particularly enthusiastic or glum.

I don't think we'll hear another "YOU LIE!" shouted from the floor, though I'm sure there will be many moments during the speech when that will be completely appropriate. That certainly will take some of the drama out of the whole thing.

If I were a congressman or Senator I'd make an announcement prior to the speech something like this:
"If you watch me during the speech here's what you won't see - standing, clapping, or shouting. I'll stand and applaud when the president is introduced at the beginning of the speech out of respect for the office, and I'll stand and applaud when it's done (and probably with more enthusiasm since it will finally be over). However, in-between the start and finish I plan to remain seated listening to the speech and will not participate in the silly stand-up, sit-down, clap, clap, clap nonsense that always characterizes these things. I'd advise my colleagues to do the same, though I doubt they'll take my advice."
I don't care what party a guy is in, any congressman or Senator who said that would get my vote.

No comments: