HolyCoast: Heartbreak in Oklahoma
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Heartbreak in Oklahoma

This is an incredibly sad story from the Oklahoma tornado that ravaged Piedmont on Tuesday afternoon:
An extensive two-day search for a missing three-year-old boy came to an end this morning as his father announced that the toddler had been found.

Hank Hamil fought back tears as he confirmed the worst, that his son Ryan Hamil had been found dead in a lake near the family's home.

The family was torn apart as their home in Piedmont, Oklahoma, was devastated by a tornado on Tuesday.

Mr Hamil's pregnant wife, Catherine, remains in a fair condition in hospital, while his five-year-old daughter remains critical.

His 15-month-old son Cole died yesterday in an Oklahoma City hospital.

The unborn baby is said to be doing fine.

An emotional Mr Hamil said Ryan was his 'little buddy' as he confirmed that his son had died. He had been missing since the tornado hit two days ago.

'It's a bad deal,' said the distraught father. 'I lost both my boys. I loved them both.'

Breaking down in tears he said: 'I was hoping we were going to find Ryan today alive.'

'We found my other son this morning, Ryan, he was floating in the water on the west side of the lake.

'I just want to thank everybody for helping and being there.'
Piedmont is just west of my cousin's home in Edmond. At the time the storm hit Piedmont I was pretty sure it was going to take her home as well. Thankfully, it went just north. She could hear it as she huddled in a basement storm shelter, but it missed.

There's another story of a missing kid in Joplin. Will Norton had just graduated from high school and was on his way home from the ceremony in a Hummer with his Dad when the tornado hit. Will was apparently sucked through the sunroof and out of the vehicle. The Dad survived and was cut from the vehicle. They still haven't found Will and I've been following the story on Facebook.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I've been following this story, and was heart broken when I heard he was found, dead. At least the parents will be able to have some closure.