HolyCoast: "I Want a Green Sucker!"
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

"I Want a Green Sucker!"

Twenty years ago last night my wife was great with child and the birth of our son was imminent.  The two of us were sitting at the top of the stairs talking to our 2 1/2 year old daughter Emily about the big day that was soon to come and I asked her what she'd like her brother Eric to bring her when he arrived.  She said "I want a green sucker."

I said "you need to tell him" and I pointed to my wife's belly.  Emily leaned over and put her face right up to mom's belly and said "I WANT A GREEN SUCKER!".

I wish I had that on tape.

The next morning, June 21, 1991, we went to the hospital for a procedure that was designed to jump start Mother Nature and prepare the way for an induced delivery on June 22.  However, the procedure worked better than advertised and it threw my wife right into labor.  A little after 3pm that afternoon Eric came into the world and I suddenly found myself with an important task - I had to find a green sucker and soon!

The hospital was across the street from the Laguna Hills Mall, so once things settled down I ran across the street and found a candy store in the mall.  Thankfully, they had green suckers.

About three hours after he was born my parents brought Emily to the hospital.  She got her new brother and her green sucker.
So, today I lose my last teenager.  The boy turns 20 and before too long he'll be off to Sacramento State to begin his junior year in college.  Time flies.  Happy birthday, son!

1 comment:

Sam L. said...

Kids are cute. They make memories for us.