HolyCoast: They Can't Insult You If You Don't Let Them
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Saturday, February 04, 2012

They Can't Insult You If You Don't Let Them

I saw this graphic on Facebook:
I see these kinds of things all the time, but I decided to use this one because it actually matches up well with a personal philosophy of mine. Let me explain.

We seem to live in an age of perpetual outrage. Every day we read stories about some group or individual who has taken offense or insult because of something someone else said or did. When I read those stories I think "what a bunch of weak sisters." In fact, my philosophy is this: Nobody has the power to offend or insult me unless I give them permission to do it.

It's really that easy. Nobody else gets to decide for me how I'm going to feel about a given situation.  For instance, I think Planned Parenthood is a vile, baby-killing professional genocide machine, but I'm not offended by them because I refuse to give them that power.

When I started this blog I was very nervous about getting insulting comments...until I realized that I didn't really care. Like my stuff or hate it, it's all the same to me. It's my opinion and not subject to the approval of anyone else. It's actually a very liberating philosophy.  Try it for yourself.  It works.

The Komen people wouldn't have destroyed their brand had they used that same philosophy in their business. Instead of panicking and collapsing like a cheap suit after only two days of negative press, had they simply held to the line "it's our business who we donate money to and it's not subject to anyone else's approval" and ridden out the storm for a couple of more days the whole thing would have blown over. The coordinated attack on them by Planned Parenthood, the media, and certain congressional baby-killers would have died out. It's simply not possible to keep that kind of outrage ramped up for very long. Too bad they didn't have the leadership to pull it off.

2 comments:

John said...

The UK is also populated by armies of people desperately on the lookout for any opportunity to be offended. It seems the compensation culture is largely to blame.

Sam L. said...

Many want to be insulted so they can sue someone.