HolyCoast: My First Video Journalism
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Saturday, March 10, 2012

My First Video Journalism

Twenty-four years ago today I was in my office in Mission Viejo when another employee came in and said there was a big fire across the freeway from us. I went outside and saw the huge black smoke header and remembered that I had brought my brand new RCA VHS video camera to work with me that day. My quartet was doing a show at Knott's Berry Farm that night and I wanted to tape it with the new camera. Since I wasn't planning to go home on the way, I had the camera in the car.

I drove over closer to the freeway where I'd have an unobstructed view and shot this video. It's kind of fun to go back and look at it today.

If I hadn't had the camera with me there would have been no way to get this footage. The camera was pretty big and actually rested on my shoulder as I filmed. Today I carry a camera/HD video camera in my pocket, as do most people. Everyone can do their own photojournalism just by taking out their cellphone. We just take those things for granted today.

No comments: