HolyCoast: Colored Lights versus White Lights
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Friday, November 26, 2004

Colored Lights versus White Lights

After a day spent running cords for hundreds of colored Christmas lights (I don't allow white lights at my house - too cold and sterile), I found this article interesting (hat tip Hugh Hewitt). It was written in 2001 by Michael Kelly, a very talented journalist who died during the march to Baghdad in 2003. Being a colored light guy, I can relate (Hugh is too).

We had a white light Christmas tree about 10 years ago or so, but it was so boring that I think I would rather have skipped Christmas than do that again. Most of the pre-lighted artificial trees you now find in the stores have white lights, which is why we looked long and hard to find a 9' tree with NO lights. I'll put my own colored lights on, thank you (we don't use a real tree - just too much of a fire hazard with all the lights we put on it). And by the way, we use random twinkle lights which are really hard to find these days, not those robotic always on or flashing on and off lights that the imagination-challenged stores would have you buy.

We do have a giant wreath in our entryway window that was pre-lit with while lights. Actually, it's the second wreath. The first one had some kind of spastic response to electricity which caused a section of the lights to come on for awhile, then turn off. After they cooled down, they popped on again. Back to Costco with that one.

I predict that it will only work correctly one year, after which I'll be stringing some good colored random twinkle lights on that bad boy.

I'll post a photo of our electron-eating front entry in a day or so.

No comments: