HolyCoast: Does This Mean the Lines Will Be Even Longer?
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Does This Mean the Lines Will Be Even Longer?

From the department of "who cares?":
The American Family Association announced yesterday an end to a nine-year boycott of The Walt Disney Co. that also was supported by several other conservative organizations (HolyCoast: Really? Who?).

AFA said it sees some positive changes in the entertainment giant (HolyCoast: Like Gay Days?) and wants "to focus on more current and flagrant issues that address the same concerns AFA initially had with Disney."
Given the mile long lines that we've experienced every time we've gone to Disneyland the last several years (as you can tell, we didn't honor the boycott), somehow I don't think Disney missed the AFA folks.

Boycotts like this are generally meaningless, and I think this one proved to be just that.

Some further thoughts...For many years the Southern California districts of the Nazarene Church held a "Nazarene Night" at Disneyland, usually the last Friday night of January. At that time the park closed at 6pm and reopened to the private party at 7, and from 7 until about 1am the Nazarenes had the place to themselves.

I remember attending this event from the time I was in junior high up until the early 90's when they stopped doing the event. My group even sang there one rainy night in 1983, and Nazarene night was always fun for me because I often ran into people I knew from various Nazarene churches in Southern California where I'd performed.

After the event was canceled, I asked a pastor why they quit Nazarene Night and was told that the Nazarene church decided to stop patronizing Disneyland due to Disney's gay-friendly policies. Frankly, I thought this was a stupid reason to stop going to the park. Did it punish Disneyland? No, it punished the Nazarene families who were deprived of a relatively inexpensive trip to Disneyland. Some valuable family memories were sacrificed.

That's why to this day I don't like boycotts - they're usually pretty ineffective.

No comments: