HolyCoast: Making the Best Use of a Republican Senator
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Making the Best Use of a Republican Senator

Mark Steyn, interviewed today on the Hugh Hewitt Show, came up with a great suggest on how to make the best use of Republican Senators (h/t Radioblogger):
Hugh Hewitt: Now Mark Steyn, I want to finish by going back to the Senate. Specifically, majority leader Frist, who...I woke up this morning, saw the first AP story...the GOP controlled Senate's first priority, according to Bill Frist, in January, will be an asbestos bill. Now Mark Steyn, are they utterly out of touch with where the country is right now? I think we should be debating and not dodging the war. We ought to be digging deep, as opposed to ducking.

Mark Steyn: Well, I would be in favor of wrapping virtually every Republican Senator in asbestos, and using them to insulate my attic. I think that would be a more useful deployment of them, than what they're doing in the United States Senate. That is simply the most absurd, irrelevant, minimalist approach to governing that I've heard. You know, the trouble is...it reminds me of something that I think Norman Lamont, when he was chancellor of the exchequer, said in Britain about ten years ago, that he said that the conservative party, he said then, is in office, but not in power. And that's what these guys give the appearance of. They're in office, but they're not in power. And who needs to elect these people for asbestos legislation?
They're in office, but not in power. You can't say it much better than that.

No comments: