HolyCoast: To Prophesy or Not to Prophesy, That is the Question
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Friday, November 18, 2005

To Prophesy or Not to Prophesy, That is the Question

My buddy John over at Blogotional is having quite a theological discussion with a number of other bloggers, pastors and theologians all (amateur or professional), and I can't begin to compete with that stuff. I have neither the training, nor the interest, in getting into really deep theological matters.

However, the discussion today dealt with the issue of prophecy, especially as it may occur in a charismatic church setting. I thought I'd offer my two cents (and based on the following story, you'll probably think I should get some change back).

A church I knew of some years ago was having quite an internal dispute over the purchase of some property. Both sides were vigorously arguing, and being a charismatic congregation, were actively looking for some sort of outright sign from God.

Finally, one night during a heated argument, one lady stood and said "I've got a word from the Lord". The room fell quiet and the "prophet" began to speak.

"Thus sayeth the Lord: BUY THE DAMN PROPERTY!"

Somehow I doubt her sincerity. I hope this adds to the ongoing discussion.

No comments: