HolyCoast: My Own Private Immigration Protest
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

My Own Private Immigration Protest

Today I was treated to my own private immigration protest. Well, of course, it wasn't just for me, but it might as well have been given that there were so few people around to see it.

I had stopped for gas in Vista, CA (northern San Diego County) and noticed a handful of kids in the park across the street. There were maybe 15 or 20 and they all looked to be high school age. As other kids walked by they yelled at them to join them, but most just waved them off and kept going. I wondered what was about to happen, and since I had a little bit of time, I decided to watch for a minute.

On the way south I had heard about several protests that were taking place throughout San Diego County. Many schools were reported to be in lockdown in order to keep the kids in and agitators out.

I stopped in the little store to pay the bill and heard the clerks talking about an incident earlier in the day when a bunch of kids at the school next door made a break for the fences and tried to leave to start their own protest. The school staff quickly stomped that out, but some of the kids must have gotten away and were in the nearby park.

Sure enough, the two apparent leaders of the group in the park whipped out a brand new Mexican flag (I should go in the Mexican and Danish flag business - serving all your protest needs!) and the small group began to march. They were shouting something, but I couldn't hear it. They crossed the main street and started walking down toward the school. I had to leave, so I don't know what happened next, but with such a small group of kids, I can't imagine they got the attention they were looking for.

According to the San Diego news, they folks down there have run out of patience with these student protests, and today cited some 200 kids for loitering. Many other schools are in lockdown, and there will probably be more tomorrow as long as this silliness continues.

I'm just glad I got to have a private viewing.

No comments: