HolyCoast: The Big 5-0
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Monday, April 10, 2006

The Big 5-0

Today is one of those days when you wake up and find that you've left another decade behind. No longer will I be able to say that I'm "in my forties". Yep, it's one of those birthdays that end in a zero.

If I was deluding myself about being middle-aged before, I can't do it any longer. I've already gotten my first soliciation from AARP, so senior discounts at Denny's can't be far behind. The white and gray are quickly overtaking the brown, and I guess I'm supposed to start making "old man noises" now.

Many of my contemporaries who were very athletic in their youth are now suffering the ravages of their overused joints. They're limping or having surgeries to fix their ailments, while I, who was never terribly athletic, am feeling pretty good. There are some benefits to moderation.

Although my ears have taken a beating after 30 years of loud stage monitors, at this point I'm not in need of any artificial devices except contact lenses. All in all, life's pretty good for a 50 year old in America these days.

Now if I can just remember where I put stuff...

No comments: