HolyCoast: Black When Convenient
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Monday, November 06, 2006

Black When Convenient

Over the weekend I saw video of Barack Obama campaigning in Maryland and telling the folks there that they shouldn't vote for someone because of how they look. He, of course, was referring to black voters who might be inclined to vote for the black candidate in the race, Michael Steele.

I wondered as I watched that clip if he'd make the same argument in Tennessee where the black candidate is a Dem. I guess not (h/t The Corner):

11/5: Obama stumps for Ford in Tennessee

America's only black U.S. senator, Barack Obama of Illinois, brought his considerable star power to Tennessee on Sunday to ask voters to elect another black senator.

11/3: Obama urges voters to focus on issues, not race

“You don't vote for somebody because of what they look like. You vote for somebody because of what they stand for."


Best of the Web had a slightly different version of this:
"Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois today urged hundreds of blacks not to vote along racial lines next week in Maryland's Senate race. Obama, the only black U.S. senator, came to the state to rally support for Democratic Rep. Benjamin L. Cardin, who is white. Cardin's Republican opponent, Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele, is the first black candidate ever elected statewide and has been courting black Democrats."--Associated Press, Nov. 3

"The nation's only black senator, Barack Obama, D-Ill., asked voters at two black churches and at a Nashville rally to elect [Harold] Ford, a Democrat who is trying to become the first black senator from the South in more than 100 years. 'I know that all of you are going to work the next couple of days to make sure it happens, because I'm feeling lonely in Washington,' Obama said at the Mt. Zion Baptist Church. 'I need my dear friend to join me.' "--Associated Press, Nov. 5

Imagine my surprise.

No comments: