HolyCoast: Unnecessarily Unarmed
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Unnecessarily Unarmed

Here's an editorial in a Roanoke paper from a student who found himself in the middle of the Virginia Tech incident, unarmed and vulnerable:
Upon exiting the classroom, we were met at the doors leading outside by two armor-clad policemen with fully automatic weapons, plus their side arms. Once outside, there were several more officers with either fully automatic rifles and pump shotguns, and policemen running down the street, pistols drawn.

It was at this time that I realized that I had no viable means of protecting myself.

Please realize that I am licensed to carry a concealed handgun in the commonwealth of Virginia, and do so on a regular basis. However, because I am a Virginia Tech student, I am prohibited from carrying at school because of Virginia Tech's student policy, which makes possession of a handgun an expellable offense, but not a prosecutable crime.

I had entrusted my safety, and the safety of others to the police. In light of this, there are a few things I wish to point out.

First, I never want to have my safety fully in the hands of anyone else, including the police.

Read the whole thing. What possible risk did a gun in this guy's possession have for anybody at that school?

Meanwhile, in the Land of the Rising Sun and a land with the toughest gun laws on the planet:
The mayor of Nagasaki has died, one day after he was shot on the street by a reputed gangster, according to Japanese media reports.

No amount of gun laws will stop evil people from getting guns and using them.

UPDATE: To see how far out of touch with America the left is on the gun issue, read Howard Fineman's moans and groans about how this shooting will not generate all kinds of new gun legislation. He and his ilk just don't get it.

UPDATE: A reader points out that this editorial was actually written last August after an escapee and cop killer was roaming loose around the school. That makes his writing even more poignant in light of the shootings.

No comments: