HolyCoast: Mama Moonbat Abandons the Cause
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Mama Moonbat Abandons the Cause

Two years ago I wrote a piece about a woman I'd never heard of who decided to camp out in the ditch near President Bush's Crawford, TX ranch. I was amazed at the fawning press coverage this woman received by a press desperate for anything that might make Bush look bad. AOL made her the top story of the day even though up until that point hardly anyone had ever heard of her. That initial post drew some of the most angry comments I've ever received, and since that day, her name appeared in some 89 posts at this site.

Now, Mama Moonbat as she's become known, has abandoned her antiwar cause out of frustration not only with Republicans, but with Democrats who voted to continue the funding for the war:

Cindy Sheehan, whose soldier son was killed in Iraq three years ago, said yesterday she was stepping down from her role as the figurehead of the US campaign against the war.

"This is my resignation letter as the 'face' of the American anti-war movement," she wrote in a sometimes bitter diary entry on the website Daily Kos. "I am going to take whatever I have left, and go home. I am going to go home and be a mother to my surviving children, and try to regain some of what I have lost." ...

"I was the darling of the so-called left as long as I limited my protests to George Bush and the Republican party," she wrote. "However, when I started to hold the Democratic party to the same standards that I held the Republican party, support for my cause started to erode, and the 'left' started labelling me with the same slurs that the right used."

On Saturday, in an open letter to Democratic members of Congress, she announced that she was leaving the party because she felt its leaders had failed to change the country's course in Iraq.

Her fifteen minutes of fame lasted a little longer than some others, but she began to believe her own notices and the next thing you knew she was kissing up to Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro, and had become a proponent for anything that represented America's enemies. She was never a good spokesmen for the antiwar cause - her whiny speaking style was grating on all but the most ardent antiwar activists. Once she began to align with the crazies, even the Democrats became uncomfortable having her around. She was an antiwar prop...nothing more.

It's long past time for her to disappear from the scene.

No comments: