HolyCoast: Jaw Arthritis Sidelines Hot Dog Champ
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Jaw Arthritis Sidelines Hot Dog Champ

In today's weird news, the Japanese guy who killed the competition at Coney Island each year in the hot dog eating championship may be retired by a competitive injury:
A JAPANESE man who set a world record by wolfing down 53 hot dogs in 12 minutes has suffered a severe jaw injury due to his rigorous training, making his next title uncertain.

Takeru 'Tsunami' said he can only open his mouth to make a gap the size of a fingertip after being diagnosed with jaw arthritis.

In an entry on his blog entitled Occupational Hazard, Kobayashi said: "My jaw refused to fight any more."

The injury occurred only a week after the slender 29-year-old started training to win his sixth straight title at the annual July 4 Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating contest on New York's Coney Island.

"I feel ashamed that I couldn't notice the alarm bells set off by my own body," he said. "But with the goal to win another title with a new record, I couldn't stop my training so close to the competition.

"I was continuing my training and bearing with the pain but finally I destroyed my jaw."

I guess this is the hot dog competition version of the Sandy Koufax story.

No comments: