HolyCoast: School Bans Woman Referee for Silly Reason
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Thursday, February 14, 2008

School Bans Woman Referee for Silly Reason

See if you can guess the religion (I'm going to delete the name of the school in the report):
KANSAS CITY, Mo — Kansas activities officials are investigating a religious school's refusal to let a female referee call a boys' high school basketball game.

The Kansas State High School Activities Association said referees reported that Michelle Campbell was preparing to officiate at **deleted** near Topeka on Feb. 2 when a school official insisted that Campbell could not call the game.

The reason given, according to the referees: Campbell, as a woman, could not be put in a position of authority over boys because of the (school's) beliefs.

Campbell then walked off the court along with Darin Putthoff, the referee who was to work the game with her.

"I said, 'If Michelle has to leave, then I'm leaving with her,"' Putthoff said Wednesday. "I was disappointed that it happened to Michelle. I've never heard of anything like that."

Fred Shockey, who was getting ready to leave the gym after officiating two junior high games, said he was told there had been an emergency and was asked to stay and officiate two more games.

"When I found out what the emergency was, I said there was no way I was going to work those games," said Shockey, who spent 12 years in the Army and became a ref about three years ago. "I have been led by some of the finest women this nation has to offer, and there was no way I was going to go along with that."
If I had read that item without the name of the school as you just did, I would have assumed that school to be Islamic. It certainly sounds like the type of attitude toward women found in many repressive Islamic cultures.

But no, the name of the school is St. Mary's Academy. I think we can rule out Islam.

The school is named after a woman, but women are not allowed in authority. Maybe the Virgin Mary needs to make one of her personal appearances in a burrito or ice cream stain at that school and wake them up.

I have to side with the referees on this one.

No comments: