HolyCoast: McCain's Speech
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

McCain's Speech

I've concentrated most of the blogging on the Dem race, but since McCain clinched last night, I guess I should give him his due. Here's an excerpt from his victory speech:
I will leave it to my opponent to argue that we should abrogate trade treaties, and pretend the global economy will go away and Americans can secure our future by trading and investing only among ourselves. We will campaign in favor of seizing the opportunities presented by the growth of free markets throughout the world, helping displaced workers acquire new and lasting employment and educating our children to prepare them for the new economic realities by giving parents choices about their children's education they do not have now.

I will leave it to my opponent to claim that they can keep companies and jobs from going overseas by making it harder for them to do business here at home. We will campaign to strengthen job growth in America by helping businesses become more competitive with lower taxes and less regulation.

I will leave it to my opponent to propose returning to the failed, big government mandates of the sixties and seventies to address problems such as the lack of health care insurance for some Americans. I will campaign to make health care more accessible to more Americans with reforms that will bring down costs in the health care industry down without ruining the quality of the world's best medical care.

And I will campaign to reduce our dangerous dependence on foreign oil with an energy policy that encourages American industry and technology to make our country safer, cleaner and more prosperous by leading the world in the use, development and discovery of alternative sources of energy.

Great message, flawed messenger. Mike Huckabee gave his speech completely off the cuff and without an awkward moment. McCain reads his off a teleprompter and obviously so. His best lines are hurt by the delivery. He's going to have to fix that because if his convention speech isn't delivered any better than this one, he's going to lose the usual convention bump.

No comments: