HolyCoast: Let's All Give Thanks for the Spill-Resistant Keyboard
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Let's All Give Thanks for the Spill-Resistant Keyboard

One month ago today I bought my new notebook computer, and one of the features advertised on it is a spill-resistant keyboard. Thank goodness.

Yesterday I managed to knock a quarter full glass of water right smack on the keyboard. Needless to say, I was not pleased. You could have probably heard me from the Frey's store in Fountain Valley where I bought it.

I grabbed the laptop and dumped it on its side and watched the water run out, thinking I had probably killed it. At that point I was really glad I'd paid the extra money for the 3-year replacement plan. The machine was still running, though funny commands were hitting the screen and when I tried to do anything, it wasn't responding. I did a hard shut-down and tried to restart it but it wouldn't go past the Fujitsu logo. I shut it down again and went and got a hair dryer.

I spent a few minutes with the hair dryer trying to dry out what I could and then restarted it again. This time it got past the logo but stalled in the start-up with an error message telling me a key was stuck. There was still water under the keyboard that was causing some keys to connect. Another shut down.

This time I opened it up into a "V", set it on its side, and put a strong fan about a foot away and left it that way for over an hour. When I turned it on again it came on like nothing had ever happened. Amazing.

Hopefully I haven't damaged something that will corrode later, but if it does, let's hope it goes bad within the 3-year warranty.

No comments: