HolyCoast: 9/11/01 - Bob H's Story
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11/01 - Bob H's Story

From the 9/11 Reader's Project, here's Bob H's story:
Remembering September 11

I'm a pretty early riser - typically getting up around 5 am. On September 11, 2001, I woke up at my usual time, made some coffee, and turned on CNBC. I liked to watch 'Squawk Box' in the morning to learn what was happening prior to the stock market opening. I had taken an interest in the stock market (although I didn't do any investing myself), and had followed the various tech stocks up during the tech bubble in the late '90's, then was fascinated by the sudden implosion of so many once high-flying companies. Anyone remember Pets.com? They went public February 2000 with an IPO for $82.5 million, then closed down a mere 10 months later.

Anyway, I was watching CNBC (which broadcasts live from New York) and all of a sudden the hosts (Mark Haines and Joe Kernen) begin reporting about reports of what they (at the time) thought was a small passenger plan that had hit the world trade center. I was riveted to the TV while my wife and son were still asleep, and it was just surreal as the actual events unfolded that morning. The hosts of the show did an amazing job, even given the panic that was evident in their distressing reports. They were reporting from ground zero; they, their families and friends were in harms way, and there was an eventual realization that the nation was under attack and we had no idea the exent of the event. Before I left home for work at Cal Poly Pomona University, I woke my wife and told her the news.

At work, no one could concentrate. A TV was set up, and all gathered around it to watch the events unfold. I did attend a scheduled meeting that morning, but by about 10 am the decision was made to close the campus and send everyone home. It was the right decision - people were in a state of shock (even though we were 3,000 miles away) - and the best place to be was with their loved ones.

It's hard to remember what happened the next couple of days, but I do recall the telethon raising money for the survivors (I was amazed that all the artists could be pulled together so quickly). I remember a special prayer service at the church that week. I remember our neighbor from across the street (an LA Sherrif Deputy) sitting alone with a candle on his front porch - holding a solitary candlelight vigil.

My daughter was born on September 21 - just 10 days after that fateful event. I recall that after her birth, the hospital staff moved us out of the maternity section into an older section of the hospital, because they ran out of maternity beds. It dawned on me that in this time of trial, when we were anticipating an economic recession, anthrax attacks, a loss of personal liberties and a time of war, that God was still in control. Even though many families lost loved ones that day, thousands of new lives were entering the world, creating hope for the future.


"Why should I feel sad,
When You made the heavens?
Why should I be afraid,
When You put the stars in place?
Why should I lose heart,
When I know how great you are?
Why should I give up,
When Your plans are full of love?

In this world we will have trouble,
But You have overcome the world!
You Shine,
Brighter than the brightest star!
Your Love,
Purer than the purest heart!
You Shine,
Filling us with courage and strength
To follow You!"


-- from "You Shine" by Brian Doerksen

1 comment:

Matthew G Welp said...

I watched that same telecast on CNBC that morning of 9/11/01 from my dump apartment in Edina, MN before heading off to work. On my way to work listening to the radio, I didn't want to have it affect me... that we were under attack...so I tried my best, once at work, to put my head down and do my accounting work. A TV was set off the lunch-room and people would run back from here screaming...a plane crashed in PA, then, the tower fell, then, another tower fell. I just kept imagining folks in the twin towers working, taking a sip a coffee then staring at a plane comming right at them...then crash...the saddest dayof my life...seeing our pillars, the people, killed by fascists who were happy the buildings had been brought down...so happy they were cheering and buying pizza in my dump of an apartment in Edina, MN, that night of 9/11/01. Mark H and Joe K will always be in my heart, and moments after 9/11/01 the stylings of the empty and debauch of netowrk and cable TV left me.