HolyCoast: One More Year and Disneyland Can Order Off the Cheap Menus
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Friday, July 17, 2009

One More Year and Disneyland Can Order Off the Cheap Menus

(I bumped this back to the top after I realized there was a problem with the video settings. It should work for you now.)

Laura reminds us that today is Disneyland's 54th birthday, having opened on a sweltering July 17th in 1955. I spent a grand total of 3 months working for Disneyland in the summer of 1975, and for more than 20 years my family had annual passes.

Today is also the 20th anniversary of the opening of Splash Mountain, the water flume ride based on Disney's "Song of the South", the movie they can't even release because it would immediately be branded racist thanks to the tarbaby and other issues. Splash Mountain also became the home of many of the audioanimatronic characters that were removed from the America Sings attraction in Tomorrowland.

While going through some video the other day I found some film I had taken of Splash Mountain while it was undergoing construction in 1988. It was my 3-week old daughter's first trip to Disneyland. That bundle you see in my young wife's arms was her.


I wish I'd taken more video at Disneyland in those days. It would be fun to compare those shots to what the park looks like today.

No comments: